The Star Cocktail is one of these classic cocktails that was produced before prohibition. This one is a really easy one to make and it is quite delicious at that. If you are looking to make this drink you’re going to need a few ingredients, so lets gather them up so we can start mixing.
- 1 1/2 oz Apple Brandy – I decided to go with Lairds Straight Apple Brandy. It’s a 100 proof liquor made by Lairds, practically the original Apple Jack producer.
- 1 1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth – This should be an Italian vermouth as per Dave Wondrich.
- 1/4 oz Simple Syrup – It’s a 1:1 ratio of the sugar to water mixture.
- 3 Dashes of Angostura Bitters – Peychauds will work as well in this one.
So if you have everything ready to go you can get making this drink.
- Pre-chill a cocktail glass in preparation for this cocktail.
- Mix all liquid ingredients into a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir well for 20-30 seconds.
- Strain into the chilled glass from earlier.
- Rub a lemon peel on the rim of the glass and put it into the drink as a nice garnish.
This drink takes on a really nice sweet flavor, but it’s not overly sweet. This drink is very spirit forward so make sure you’re using some decent liquor in it. You’ll get a lot of the Apple Brandy flavor in there with the sweet finish from the Vermouth.
The Star Cocktail
- 1 1/2 oz Apple Brandy
- 1 1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
- 1/4 oz Simple Syrup
- 3 dashes Angostura Bitters.
- Chill a cocktail glass in preparation for the drink.
- Pour all liquid ingredients into a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir for 20-30 seconds
- Strain into the chilled glass and garnish with a lemon peel.