There is nothing better than putting some fresh fruit and herbs in a cocktail. This particular drink is an amazing Rum Smash that I based off of a Dale DeGroff cocktail.
A well balanced cocktail usually contains a few common elements: a base liquor, a sweetener, a sour element, and bitters (usually). This cocktail does not contain bitters, but it does however have fresh mint which gives it an amazing flavor for sure.
What kind of Rum works best? I personally chose to use a local produced Rum that is Molasses based. It has a more potent flavor than many other Rums. This can be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. It makes for some odd pairing in some cocktails (the Daiquiri was a huge miss.), but when you get the right pairing it can be to die for. I personally love it with berries so this seemed like a great choice.
Why do you spank the mint? Smacking the mint helps release some of the flavors on the leaves. Not only that, but you also get an amazing scent that comes from the mint.
- 2 oz Rum
- 3/4 oz Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 4 Lemon Wedges
- 4 Mint Leaves
- Put the lemon wedges, mint leaves, and simple syrup into the bottom of a rocks glass.
- Muddle this all together. Be careful not to over muddle as the bitterness will come from the lemon rind.
- Add the Rum into this and shake the mixture with ice.
- Double strain the cocktail over new ice.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry and a sprig of mint.