So this is a true classic drink recipe. I tried it a few times to make sure I got it right and overall I am pretty happy with the results. So here is the awesome book I have the recipe from: The Bar Book by Jeffrey Morgenthaler. It’s a great book and I highly suggest you get it.
So this recipe actually requires a little bit of prep work. If you want to do it the right way, (and we all do right?), than you’ll need to gather up some Heavy Whipping Cream for this recipe. Keep in mind that any reecipes calling for canned Redi Whip are wrong. Not trying to be a drink snob, but this detail plays an important role in the flavor of the drink.
Alright now that I’ve established that lets get ingredients together for this one:
- 3 oz Hot Strong Coffee
- 1 1/2 oz Irish Whisky
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar Simple Syrup (2:1 Ratio)
- Fresh Made Whipping Cream
In order to whip the cream together here are three options you can take.
- Whip is hard with a whisk until it thickens to a frothy, yet still moving mix.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk it for about 1-2 minutes
- Pour whipping cream in a mason jar and shake until the cream thickens about 50% in volume.
Now that we know how to make some homemade Fresh Whipped Cream we can put this together.
- Pour Whiskey, Brown Sugar Syrup, and Coffee into our glass in that order.
- Stir this to combine.
- Float Fresh Whipped Cream on the top.
- You can optionally garnish with a couple coffee beans or some brown sugar.
I freaking love this drink. It’s a little bit on the strong side if you’re not a big drinker, but it is certainly a great way to warm up on a cold day.
Enjoy this drink and check out some of my other St Patrick’s Day Drinks.